The Chevening Scholarship is a prestigious international scholarship program funded by the United Kingdom’s government. It aims to support outstanding individuals with leadership potential from around the world to pursue a one-year master’s degree in any subject at a UK university.
The Chevening Scholarship is a flagship initiative of the UK government, providing aspiring leaders and influencers from diverse backgrounds with the chance to enhance their knowledge and skills through a one-year master’s degree program at a UK university of their choice. The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses, travel costs, and various other allowances, enabling recipients to fully focus on their studies and personal growth.
The scholarship program seeks individuals who exhibit strong leadership potential and a commitment to making a positive impact in their home countries and communities upon their return. Chevening Scholars become part of a global network of like-minded individuals, fostering international collaboration and understanding.
- Host University: Various universities in the United Kingdom
- Host Country: United Kingdom
- Study Level: Master’s degree
- Scholarship Type: Fully funded
- Scholarship Worth: The Chevening Scholarship covers the full cost of tuition fees, monthly stipend for living expenses, an economy class return airfare to the UK, and additional allowances for essential expenses1.
- Eligible Countries: The Chevening Scholarship is available to applicants from over 160 countries and territories around the world1.
- Subjects Available: The scholarship supports a wide range of subjects, including but not limited to: Business and Economics, Engineering, International Relations, Journalism, Law, Public Administration, Science and Technology, and Social Sciences
- Application Deadline: November each year.
The Chevening Scholarships are available for International Masters students in the fields of Business and Economics, Engineering, International Relations, Journalism, Law, Public Administration, Science and Technology, and Social Sciences, to have the opportunity to pursue their studies at any university in the United Kingdom.
The Chevening Scholarship offers comprehensive support to exceptional individuals aspiring to pursue postgraduate studies in the UK. With this prestigious award, recipients enjoy full coverage of their tuition fees, freeing them from financial burdens and enabling them to focus wholeheartedly on their academic pursuits.
In addition to academic expenses, the scholarship provides a generous monthly stipend, catering to the living expenses of the scholars throughout their stay in the UK. Furthermore, scholars are granted economy class return airfare to and from the UK, facilitating their smooth transition and making their educational journey hassle-free.
To ensure scholars’ well-being and comfort, the scholarship also includes additional allowances, catering to essential expenses, thereby creating a nurturing and enriching experience for all the beneficiaries.
In order for all candidates to be considered for a Chevening Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be citizens of an eligible country or territory
- Have completed an undergraduate degree (or equivalent) and have at least two years of work experience (this requirement may vary by country)
- Meet the academic requirements for the chosen master’s program at a UK university
- Demonstrate leadership potential and the ability to contribute to the development of their home country upon completion of their studies
The application process for the Chevening Scholarship involves the following steps:
- Create an account on the official Chevening website and carefully read the guidance provided.
- Complete the online application form, which includes sections on personal details, education and work history, and future plans.
- Submit required documents through the online application system, including academic certificates, reference letters, and a valid passport/national ID.
- Prepare for an interview if shortlisted. Interviews are conducted in person, via video conference, or by telephone.
- Await the final decision, which is typically communicated in April/May of the following year.
Applicants will need to submit the following supporting documents:
- Valid passport/national ID
- Academic transcripts and degree certificates
- Reference letters from two referees
- English language test results (if required)
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- A statement of purpose explaining why the applicant is interested in their chosen field of study and how they plan to use their skills and knowledge to contribute to their home country
Admission requirements vary by UK university and program. Applicants should review the specific entry requirements for their chosen course at their preferred UK university.
Applicants must meet the Chevening English language requirement by either providing evidence of an English language test or qualifying for an exemption1. The accepted English language tests are IELTS, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic, and C1 Advanced (formerly known as Cambridge CAE).
For detailed information and the most up-to-date application guidelines, please visit the official Chevening Scholarship website: https://www.chevening.org/